Hello and Welcome!

RWTH Aachen University, Chair of Process and Data Science
Ahornstr. 55, 52074 Aachen, Germany

+49 241 80 21917

My name is István Koren and I am a PostDoc Research Associate at the Chair of Process and Data Science at RWTH Aachen University. I am happy to present my achievements and ongoing work here on my personal website.

In my research, I focus on societal software engineering in professional communities of practice. The goal is to make it usable and approachable for end users to participate in software development, as information systems influences their practices, workplaces and even well-being. In particular, I am curious how web-based information infrastructures can enhance the work and life of communities. As the web and its main living standard HTML5 is in constant flux, it is of high importance to stabilize the development of information systems by the mean of a sustainable methodology. Thereby, we can withstand new generations of technology.

In my role as as deputy coordinator of the infrastructure area in the cluster of excellence Internet of Production at RWTH Aachen University I am actively shaping the growing importance of computer science in production technology. Our infrastructure area comprises around 50 researchers working on the topics of data infrastructure, model-based foundations, as well as artificial intelligence within the highly complex field of production engineering in Industry 4.0 settings.

Feel free to contact me to discuss ideas, opportunities, proposals, or simply to chat about technologies like WebRTC, WebAssembly and GraphQL.

Places and Stations

Below you find an overview of my most important work experiences in academics and industry.

Research Associate, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

2019 — present

In the excellence cluster Internet of Production, an ambitious interdisciplinary project between mainly mechanical engineering and computer science, I am mainly responsible for coordinating the computer science activities in close collaboration with the principal investigators and our management.

PhD Studies, RWTH Aachen University, Germany

2013 — 2019

I carried out my PhD studies in the Advanced Community Information Systems group led by Priv.-Doz. Dr. Ralf Klamma in the chair of information systems and databases led by Prof. Dr. Matthias Jarke. My PhD thesis is entitled DevOpsUse: Community-Driven Continuous Innovation of Web Information Infrastructures.

Research Intern, Shizuoka University, Japan (JSPS fellowship)

2012, June — 2012, August

At Shizuoka University in Hamamatsu I was given opportunity to continue my diploma project and research multi-tile displays under the supervision of Prof. Shohei Yokoyama.

Mobile Software Engineering Intern, Amadeus Labs, Bangalore, India (DAAD scholarship)

2010, January — 2010, June

Before of my internship in Bangalore, I spent one month in Pune as part of my DAAD scholarship, with courses on Indian economy and culture (including a Hindi language course). At Amadeus, I was working on their mobile offerings for iOS. What impressed me most was the global collaboration on software development across time zones and cultures.

Master Studies in Computer Science and Media, Technische Universität Dresden, Germany

2008 — 2012

My master studies took place again in Dresden, Germany. My focus was on computer networks and mobile software engineering.

Research Intern, Pontifícia Universidade Católica Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

2008, November — 2009, April

During my research internship in Rio I worked under supervision of Prof. Dr. Markus Endler. I was part of the joint Brazilian-German research project Mobilis, which dealt with a framework for mobile social collaboration.

Bachelor Studies in Computer Science and Media, Technische Universität Dresden, Germany

2005 — 2008

I wrote my bachelor thesis on the topic of "Conceptual Design of a Mobile Collaborative Platform Based on Android and XMPP". It was the first thesis project at the university built for Android. My subsidiary subject was cartography; my studies on semiotics and map design still influence and inspire much of my work on visual analytics. Besides my bachelor studies, I was a working student at the HR department of Qimonda Dresden, a semiconductor factory.

Ludwigshafen am Rhein, Germany

— 2005

Born in Budapest, Hungary, I lived most my life until university in and around the city of Ludwigshafen am Rhein, within the Upper Rhine Plain, an area known for its great climate, castles and nature.